The estimator serves as the Company’s primary resource to assist the sales organization in responding to customer requests for job estimates and firm quotations in an effective and timely manner. The estimator is responsible for meeting with customers (new and existing), attending site surveys, reviewing client security requirements (access control, Video, alarm monitoring, etc.) and developing quotations and alternative designs to accommodate business needs. All of these tasks are to be performed in a cost-effective, expeditious, and high-quality manner. It is important to note that the estimator is financially rewarded based upon quantity and quality of work performed. Recognizing that the estimator cannot directly influence wins and losses, he/she is accountable for volume of work produced, profitable contribution and results for the year, i.e., estimated vs. actual labor and material costs.
Examples of work performed:
- The estimator is required to work with manufacturers, architects and consultants to incorporate latest equipment features and technologies into proposals and system design.
- The estimator is expected to design and engineer integrated security solutions, detailing the equipment components necessary, pricing out the associated labor charges (including that of subcontractors), and defining the scope of work.
- Upon receipt of request from Sales, take necessary action to contact customer and conduct a site visit, if necessary.
- Develop site drawing (obtain CAD from customer) with detail floor plan, system riser, component locations etc.
- Review scope of work with Sales, Engineering and Project Manager, if necessary.
- Contact manufacturer representatives and/or equipment distributors to obtain up-to-date product literature and pricing.
- Develop pricing spreadsheets for system recommendations (with options/alternatives).
- Check all work for accuracy and compliance with plans and specifications.
- Remain current with ever-changing security technologies.
- Complete weekly work schedule, noting job meetings/appointments of upcoming week.
- Communicate regularly with any and all appropriate staff internally to ensure customer satisfaction and job profitability.